Sunday 16 February 2014

Eat the blame

Tomato Chutney for Idly




Someone I know has been waiting for breakfast since 4 am this morning, all showered and ready to wallop idlys at that Godly hour.

Anticipation rising as rapidly and inexorably as the idly batter, that someone, none other than the husband, even woke me up at seven in the morning, fearing I would have a sleep-in Sunday.

Sigh… being a willing, enthusiastic - and I suppose, if I may say so- a good cook, sure has its many minuses…

So not only do I get woken up at an ungodly hour for a Sunday, but also have this crazy impulse to make it a full Monty with idly, sambaar, coconut chutney AND a south Indian restaurant style tomato chutney…

I have only myself to blame for the tomato chutney. But a mistake is a mistake, I think Zen. I don’t have to feel guilty or ashamed …and the husband can eat it the blame, I mean tomato chutney…it’s very tasty. :)




Tomato Chutney for Idly

1 small onion chopped
1 large tomato diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp chana dal
1-2 dry red chilly
1-2 green chily
1 tsp minced ginger
4-5 curry leaves
¼ tsp methi seeds
A pinch of haldi
Salt to taste
1 tsp oil

For the tadka/ tempering
1 tsp oil
½ tsp Mustard seeds
A generous pinch of hing

Method

Heat oil in a pan and add the chana dal and methi seeds. As it starts to brown a little, add chillies, curry leaves, chopped onion, ginger and haldi, and sauté for a few minutes. Add the tomato and tomato paste, a little water and let it cook for 6-7 minutes. Turn off heat and grind the chutney when the mixture cools. Remove onto a serving bowl.

Heat a tsp of oil in a small pan, add the mustard seeds and as they begin to splutter, add the hing and turn off heat.


Pour this tadka / tempering over the chutney and serve with idli or dosa. Goes well with pooris or theplas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome weary web wanderer!
I hope you have found whatever you were looking for!
I would love to know what you thought of my recipes and posts- so why don't you drop a line?!